Looking for a delicious way to heat up your taste buds on cold winter nights? Look no further!
This Chocolate Chicken Chili is sure to be a hit at your house – especially with the surprise additions of chocolate and cardamom.
Don’t be daunted by the long list of ingredients: this is mostly an open and dump kind of recipe. Open a couple cans, dump them into the pan. Grab some leftover cooked chicken and dump it into the pan.
It’s also the kind of recipe you put together when you get home after work, the kind that tastes even better on day two or three or four. Trust me, I’ve eaten this three days in a row – so far.
Here’s the thing. You might think chocolate is the secret ingredient. It’s not.
It’s the black cardamom seeds. Be sure you get BLACK cardamom seeds; others will probably work (green, Madagascar) but I specifically used black cardamom seeds. Check the spices at your local grocery store or co-op. You can definitely pick up spices like this online all over the place.
They add this unexpected pop of almost mint. That doesn’t sound like the right fit for chili, does it. But here’s the thing, cardamom is strong and earthy with spicy-sweet flavor that -once you’ve tasted it- you’ll wonder why on earth you’ve never added cardamom to chili before. It’s a perfect fit.
Adding the Hershey’s Special Dark Chocolate Cocoa at the end of cooking adds additional depth and color. But does the chili taste like chocolate? Um, nope. Not at all. It simply adds to the complexity of the flavor – think Mexican mole sauce, not hot fudge sundae chili.
Forget I suggested that last thing. I will not be making that anytime soon.
I suspect this chili could be frozen, but it didn’t make it to my freezer. Instead I ate it for three or four days straight. Seriously, it’s that good.
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cardamon seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder (or more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen vegetables (I used corn and peas)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can kidney beans, drained
- 2 cups chicken, cooked, cubed
- 1 teaspoon Hershey's Dark Chocolate cocoa
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add onion and saute until translucent.
- While the onion is sauteing, add spices right on top of the onion - garlic powder, cardamon seeds, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, oregano.
- Add tomatoes, frozen vegetables, broth, and beans. Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer.
- Add chicken and cocoa, and stir to incorporate. Keep simmering until heated through.
- Serve with fresh chopped cilantro, sour cream, and cheese.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please see my disclosure policy.